Sunday 13 January 2008

Reviews: The Pigeon Detectives - Wait For Me

I've recently purchased "Wait for Me" and also saw The Pigeon Detectives first of all at Pucklepop in Belgium, then supporting the Kaiser Chiefs at Nottingham Areana. So I feel I'm in a decent enough position to pen a quick review on their new album.

For my reviews so far I’ve bigged up the WACS7000 music system from Philips and fully lavished praise on the
Racing Frogs website. So you might be thinking this review is quite likely going to be more controversial, maybe a little scathing in its opinion, well let’s see.

This debut album “Wait for me”, the reason it doesn’t hit the mark is…. Well, the reason I didn’t like it is… I thought it was second rate because… No, sorry, cant do it, this album is absolutely fantastic!

This pop/rock/indie style band of youths brought out a few excellent singles, first of allRomantic type” then “I found out” and so it was time for an album to prove their worth.
I can safely say they have done just that with an album that is packed with sing-along, or even chant-along, songs that can be enjoyed in the car, down the pub with your mates or even just at home to brighten things up on a rainy sunday.

There seems to be quite a few bands in this same style at the moment and I have to admit I’m into most of them so it’s not really that surprising I like this album. The Twang, The Kooks, The View, The Cribs, they all have that “sing about life – things that people can relate too” style that has really caught on ever since The Kaiser Chiefs brought this idea into the mainstream (No surprise therefore they are supporting the chiefs on tour!). Some however do it better than others, the Pigeons being one of them.

I loved the lyrics in the singles and the rest of the album doesn’t disappoint.
The foot-tapping “Don’t Know How to Say Goodbye” brilliantly reassures you that the first two singles (track 1 & 2) weren’t just lucky.
The next fave in my opinion is “I’m not Sorry” which I defy anyone not to be singing along to before the end of the first listen. “Stop or go” is very similar which only leaves you with a few tracks before getting to the brilliant “Take Her Back” - “What would her dad say if he knew? She’s on her knees, he’s twenty-two”, which I don’t think I’m ever going to get bored of listening too. Then there’s still the title track “Wait for me” to enjoy… Sorry I just couldn’t do it… this album is great!

No comments: